The annual King of the South Poetry Slam
Sunday May 27th, 2018. King of the South Slam.
AUDIENCES Buy your advance, reserved seating on Eventbrite:
The historical, original all male poetry slam held in Greenville South Carolina! Don't miss the top male poets of the south east region showcase their power and spoken word skills! Located at Coffee Underground (downtown) 1 East Coffee St Greenville SC
HOST Johnny C Weaver
Bout Manager Kimberly J Simms
REGISTRATION FOR POETS IS NOW FULL.
REGISTERED POETS: Order will be randomly drawn on the night.
1. Darelle D. Dove | Greenville
2. Jahbu Ourinde | Charlotte
3. Breeze | Richmond
4. Nate Hames | Spartanburg
5. Su Zhair | Atlanta
6. Backpack Jeff | Washington DC
7. Eye-Am-Bic | Charlotte
8. Corey Nesbitt | Greenville
9. Jay Desean | Greenville
10. Khali Ali | Charleston
11. Black Phoenix | Spartanburg
12. Equal Opportunity Disorder | Greenville
1. Prize Money: 1st $300 2nd $100
Top 3 poets will have the title, "King of the South Finalist"
2. Bout draw is at 7:15pm
If you are late for the draw, you will automatically be the 1st poet in the slam!
3. We are only taking 12 poets. No Waiting List. Cancellations must occur by 5/25 in order to receive a refund.
4. No Tie for First. In the event that there is a tie for first after the third round, then each poet tied for first will perform one additional poem. A coin flip will determine order. Judges will vote for the winner by writing down the name of the poet who they believe should win.
5. Three Round Poetry Slam. 12-6-3. First two rounds are cumulative. Final round is clean slate. Order will be high to low for second round. Final round will be redrawn for order.
6. The Time Limit. 3:00 minute time limit. A poet is certainly allowed several full seconds to adjust the microphone and get settled, but as soon as s/he makes a connection with the audience (“Hey look, she’s been standing there for 10 seconds and hasn’t even moved”), the timekeeper can start the clock. After 3:00 minutes, there is a 10-second grace period (for example: (in the 3 minute rotation) up to and including 3:10:00). Starting at one hundredth of a second over the grace period, a penalty is automatically deducted of .10 from the poet’s overall score. THE MC/BM MAY STOP THE POET AT 4:00 MINUTES.
7. Influencing the Crowd Before the Bout Begins. Poets are allowed to talk casually with anyone in the crowd before the bout begins (except the judges, if they have already been chosen). They are not, however, allowed to give anything to the audience or have anyone do this for them. See full PSI
tournament rules for more information.
8. General PSI Rules (www.poetryslam.com)