Now Registering the November 7th Slam. The deadline for poetry registration is November 2nd.
Audience members/open mic - get your tickets on Eventbrite:
Poetry Slams are by invitation only since we are offering a discounted poet registration of just $12 (audience tickets are $20). Please see your Facebook messenger for your invitation or email email@example.com to request an invitation. You may be asked to provide a reference or a link to a video.
Wits End Poetry's mission is to mentor and grow Carolina poetry talent in order to help poets make a living as poets.
The poetry slam events do have a short open mic available for those with "audience tickets."
Poetry Slams take place on the first Saturday of each month at the Artistry Gallery at 12 Andrews Street. Limited to 12 poets. No waitlist. Preference goes to those who live in the Carolinas and Georgia. Poets scroll to the bottom of this page to see all the rules.
Cashapp $12 to $witsendpoetry with the words POET: "poet name." Only register if you have received a personal invitation or been approved by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer and Receive a Free Audience Ticket
Sign-up to be a volunteer at the poetry slam! .
SLAMS BY MONTH
August: Fresh Out the Oven Slam
September: Say What Anniversary Poetry Slam
October: Annual Nerd Slam
November: Say What $200 Poetry Slam. November 7th
December: Say What $200 Poetry Slam
January: South Carolina New Year Regional Poetry Slam
February: Black History Month Slam
March: Say What $200 Poetry Slam
April: Queen of the South Regional Slam
May: King of the South Regional Slam.
1. Bout draw is at 7:15pm by Slammaster.
2. 12 Poets. No Waiting List. No refunds.
3. This is a three-round poetry slam. 12-6-3 Cut.
4. Cumulative first two rounds. Clean Slate for final-round. To move to final round, we will take top three poets based on their cumulative score for first and second round. If there is a tie for second, we will just take those top three poets (1st place, two poets tied for second = three poets going to final round). (1st place, 2nd place, two poets tied for third = four poets going to final round etc)
5. No Tie for First. In the event that there is a tie for first, then each poet tied for first place will perform one additional poem. A coin flip will determine order. Judges will vote for the winner by writing down the name of the poet who they believe should win.
6. The Time Limit. 3:00 minute time limit. At 3:10:01 a time penalty will be assessed. A poet is certainly allowed several full seconds to adjust the microphone and get settled, but as soon as s/he makes a connection with the audience (“Hey look, she’s been standing there for 10 seconds and hasn’t even moved”), the timekeeper can start the clock. After 3:00 minutes, there is a 10-second grace period (for example: (in the 3 minute rotation) up to and including 3:10:00). Starting at one hundredth of a second over the grace period, a penalty is automatically deducted of .10 from the poet’s overall score. THE MC/BM MAY STOP THE POET AT 4:00 MINUTES.
6. Influencing the Crowd Before the Bout Begins. Poets are allowed to talk casually with anyone in the crowd before the bout begins (except the judges, if they have already been chosen). They are not, however, allowed to give anything to the audience or have anyone do this for them. See full PSI
tournament rules for more information.
7. Black Phoenix is the slammaster. Please see our page What is Slam for full rules as well as below. Kimberly Simms will adjudicate any protests.