The last Sunday of each month we will have Say What Virtual Poetry Slam on Instagram @witsendpoetry 7:30 pm | $50 | first prize. Preference goes to those who live in the Carolinas and Georgia.
Cashapp $5 and your poet name to $witsendpoetry
Judge the Slam!
Sign-up to be a volunteer poetry slam judge! Preference goes to those who live in the Carolinas.
SLAMS BY MONTH
August: Fresh Out the Oven Slam
Poems performed must never have been performed in a slam (open mic okay).
September: Say What Poetry Slam
October: Annual Nerd Slam
November: Say What Poetry Slam
December: Not Quite the New Year Slam
January: The term of the 2020 Greenville Slam Team has been extended through 2021.
1. Bout draw is at 7:15pm by Slammaster.
2. This is a two-round poetry slam. 8 poets cut to 4 poets for second round. Clean Slate. Second round reverse order of first round.
3. We are only taking 8 poets. No Waiting List. No refunds.
4. No Tie for First. In the event that there is a tie for first, then each poet tied for first place will perform one additional poem. A coin flip will determine order. Judges will vote for the winner by writing down the name of the poet who they believe should win.
5. The Time Limit. 3:00 minute time limit. At 3:10:01 a time penalty will be assessed. A poet is certainly allowed several full seconds to adjust the microphone and get settled, but as soon as s/he makes a connection with the audience (“Hey look, she’s been standing there for 10 seconds and hasn’t even moved”), the timekeeper can start the clock. After 3:00 minutes, there is a 10-second grace period (for example: (in the 3 minute rotation) up to and including 3:10:00). Starting at one hundredth of a second over the grace period, a penalty is automatically deducted of .10 from the poet’s overall score. THE MC/BM MAY STOP THE POET AT 4:00 MINUTES.
6. Influencing the Crowd Before the Bout Begins. Poets are allowed to talk casually with anyone in the crowd before the bout begins (except the judges, if they have already been chosen). They are not, however, allowed to give anything to the audience or have anyone do this for them. See full PSI
tournament rules for more information.
7. Black Phoenix is the slammaster. Please see our page What is Slam for full rules as well as below.